There is a lot of information out there about diamonds, and because you wish to make an informed decision, you are doing your research. People want to know that they can feel good about their purchase, especially when there has been such a complicated history surrounding the trade of diamonds. Here are some things that you should know to make an informed decision.
- All diamonds we source are in accordance with the Kimberley Process. This is international law that tracks a diamond from rough to consumer to ensure that the stone is conflict free. Our diamond suppliers have a guarantee on every invoice that certifies that the diamond you are buying is in accordance with the Kimberley Process.
- Natural Resources Canada has a Green Mining Initiative, so Canadian diamonds are a great choice. This initiative is to create greener mining practices, from using cleaner vehicles on mine sites, water protection, to flora and fauna restoration after mining has ceased. Canadian diamonds can be more expensive due to higher wages for miners, and market demand.
- Diamonds are highly regulated. There are more regulatory bodies in place for diamonds than coloured stones. They may be a safer, more ethical choice.
- Use Grandma’s stone. Re-using family gems is a great way to make an ethical stone choice. We can create a design that suits you and works for the size and shape of the stone. Stones could even be recut at a fairly low cost to create a new look.
- Consider a lab grown stone. Lab grown sapphires and coloured stones are readily available, but are still variable in quality. Some ‘fakes’ look better than others. Lab grown diamonds are still not widely available in Canada. There are many retailers on the internet who sell direct to the public. Be mindful that not all ‘synthetic’ diamonds are actual diamond material. It may be a cubic zirconia, which would not hold up well for long term wear.
- This is likely a once in a lifetime purchase. Keep and open mind and listen to your gut. Diamond is a great choice for everyday wear because it is so hard. It is unlikely to show any damage even after a lifetime of wear. Diamond also has brilliance and dispersion that is not found in other gems for engagement rings. This means that your ring will sparkle even if you don’t clean it as often as you would like. Whatever your choice we will help find the stone that is the perfect fit for you.
- Most importantly ask questions! Find out what you need to know. This is a major purchase and there’s lots of information out there. If you have any questions at all, don’t hesitate to ask.